Book List

Friday, August 13, 2010

Skype equals love.

Most of the time I like to think of myself as someone who isn't a big fan of technology. [As I sit here writing a blog on a laptop...what a hypocrite...] "Technology is lame" is the phrase I believe my brother uses against me on a regular basis. I take the 'holier-than-thou' approach to the newest and fastest because I feel like it's so often a distraction from real relationships and experiences. Most of this coming from the ridiculous amount of control facebook has over me. What starts out as an innocent message to a dear friend turns into an hour long photo scanning sesh where I end up looking at photos of people I don't even know! [Please, can anyone feel me on this?] And don't even get me started with iPhones. If I ever try to get one just kick me in the shins. Let's just hope this doesn't turn into a repeat of the skinny jeans incident or I'll end up with bruised shins and few tangible relationships...yikkes.

But let us set this hostility aside for a moment. Tonight, I sat and talked with my redwoods roommate and dear friend Christa, who is now on a new adventure in Washington. She sat outside a coffee shop in the sunshine, wearing a blue tee and a huge headband. Her big green eyes practically popping out as she told me about exciting things of late. After swapping stories-silly and serious-we ended in prayer. Over skype. I was so encouraged by this 'virtual date', as a passerby so named it. Encouraged by our conversation. Strengthened by her courage to pray for me or rather talk to her computer, outside a busy coffee shop in the name of Jesus. Love it.

While I stubbornly hold onto the fact that technology can often cause a rift in relationships, I am now a believer in the power of Skype. Or perhaps the ability of God to encourage me through mediums such as these, however 'lame' they may be.

[Also, a shout-out to Rori Jean. A current resident of Boulder, CO with whom I also recently 'skyp-ed'. (can it be used as a verb?) This conversation also brought much joy to my soul and provided me with yet another reason to love the internet, built in video cameras, speakers, and free programs to chat with people in different time-zones. Love you Rur!]

[Okay. I just thought of Kari too. I miss you Kari. Skype date sometime soon?]

1 comment: