Book List

Monday, April 16, 2012

Relentless Assurance.

Sometimes I really need words of hope. Okay, all the time I really need words of hope. There are a lot of dark, heavy things going on out there and over here. And sometimes when it seems like too much, I run across something that gives me strength and courage and comfort.

The words of Jesus as recorded by John:

Let not your hearts be troubled.  Believe in God; believe also in me.


In my Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? and if I go and prepare a place for you I will com again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also.


Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father.


Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.  If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it.


And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, even the Spirit of truth,


You know him, for he dwells with you and will be with you.


I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.


Yet a little while and the world will see me no more, but you will see me.  Because I live, you also will live..


If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him.


But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whome the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your rememberance all that I have said to you.


Peace I leave you, my peace I give to you.


Let not your heats be troubled, neither let them be afraid.


These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be full.


No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends.


You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you.


Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you.  But if I go, I will send him to you.


You will be sorrowful, but your sorrow will turn into joy.  When a woman is giving birth, she has sorrow because her hour has come, but when she has delivered the baby, she no longer remembers the anguish, for joy that a human being has been born into the world.


So also you have sorrow now, but I will see you again and your hearts will rejoice, and no one will take your joy from you.


Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full.




I thought about trying to edit this down, as it seemed like a lot to read.
But why cut short relentless appeals to step out of despair and into hope?
May you know His relentless assurance. His relentless presence. His relentless love.
And may it strengthen and renew your weary soul.



And for more words on hope read this.
It’s like she took the words right out of my mouth.  Except for they were better than what would have come out.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment