Book List

Friday, January 15, 2010

Hunger and Thirst.

I took a walk in the rain a few days ago. I will need to learn to love the rain here. Breathing heavily, I climbed up the steep dirt path, water beading off my new purple raincoat, dripping from high branches, while pondering my new dwelling. My new situation. I prayed and my mind wandered. Bits of passages, memorized in days of yore, made their way out of the vault and into the front of my mind.

Take captive every thought and make it obedient to Christ. Be still and know that I am God. Be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry. Do everything without complaining or arguing. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit but instead consider others better than yourselves.

I am trying to find the words to describe the way these words tasted as they fell upon my tongue again. They made me feel hungry. A hunger I had forgotten I had. A desire to indulge in more. The more bits that came up the more I wanted to flood forth. And just like that a prayer is answered. A prayer to hunger and thirst for righteousness. To crave spiritual milk. To seek and to find.

How can a young man keep his way pure?
By living according to your word.
I seek you with all my heart;
do not let me stray from your commands.
I have hidden your word in my heart
that I might not sin against you.
Praise be to you, O LORD;
teach me your decrees.
With my lips I recount
all the laws that come from your mouth.
I rejoice in following your statutes
as one rejoices in great riches.
I meditate on your precepts
and consider your ways.
I delight in your decrees;
I will not neglect your word.
psalm 119:9-16

No comments:

Post a Comment