Book List

Monday, October 11, 2010

Oh-two Sensors and Oxygen Masks.

If you don't know this about me already, sometimes, I think I go a bit overboard with this processing thing.

The beautiful thing is that God provides me with people who will jump in the waves with me.
I went out with my dear friend Joy tonight. Joy is such a blessing. She is a great listener. This, coupled with wisdom, leads to her asking great questions. She inspires me to be more generous and has fostered a spirit of gift giving in me through her thoughtful example. She sits in her puffy vest drinking thrice steeped espresso reading her ESV most every morning. It sounds strange but I find peace in her patterns. She is a problem solver. And a doer. She replaced her "O-two" sensor on her car the other night. I don't even know what that is. Joy is so many things. And over the last few months she has been a life line. I have so valued her encouragement and exhortation. Most of all I just rejoice in the fact that she asks questions with me. I love that tonight there was someone with whom I could be vulnerable. What a blessing to have someone who understands me.

She summed the evening up nicely. "I wanted to pray but it was like the whole thing was a prayer." And it really was.

That was all just the prologue to the real reason I started writing this entry. I wanted to share an analogy Joyous shared with me. We were walking out to the parking lot of Hopmonk, talking about taking care of yourself. Knowing what you need. She said, "It's like oxygen masks on a plane. You have to put your own on before you help someone else. Otherwise you might pass out and be worthless."

I know I need to go overboard processing. I know I need to write. I know I need to have conversations with close friends. I know I need to be alone. I also know as soon as snap that elastic band around my head, I had better be pulling down all of those bags hanging down to the faces around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment