Book List

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Quotes from my current fix.

I've been reading this book Desiring God by John Piper and even though none of the quotes here are actually his words, it's turning out to be a good read and I like sharing good quotes so here are a few:
Indeed, if we consider the unblushing promises of reward and the staggering nature f the rewards promised in the Gospels, it would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased. -Lewis, The Weight of Glory


I think we delight to praise what we enjoy because the praise not merely expresses but completes the enjoyment; it is its appointed consummation. -Lewis, Reflections on the Psalms


Of late God has been pleased to keep my soul hungry almost continually, so that I have been filled with a kind of pleasing pain. When I really enjoy God, I feel my desires of him more insatiable and my thirstings after holiness more unquenchable. -quoted in E.M. Bounds, The Weapon of Prayer


You have put more joy in my heart than they have when their grain and wine abound. -Psalm 4:7

No comments:

Post a Comment