Book List

Monday, February 25, 2013

Because You Did It!

I have a lot of ideas.
More than you can shake a stick at.
Which is great.
Mostly.
Except I often feel like a hyper dog in a squirrel filled forest.

And so I’ve taken to making lists.
To-do lists.
"Carpe Some Diem" lists.
And most recently a “better-ment” list.

Wanna join?

When I moved back to Grand Rapids, my roommate and I sat out on our porch and made lists of things we wanted to do in the coming months.  ----->
It feels really good when I cross things off.
Even if it’s just making a snow man.
Because the check mark means I accomplished something.

Along with this head full of dreams comes the constant desire to be wiser, kinder, smarter, more balanced, learn-ed, and well-traveled.
You know...bigger, faster, stronger. [just wait for it. weird but awesome]
The problem is that despite this constant desire to grow, it’s hard to do.
Especially with all these squirrels running around.
So, I’ve made a list.

For the next week, I’ve established some things that will challenge me, encourage me, and help to set me up to actually accomplish those first two goals.

Example:

Step 2:Wake up early so that I have enough time to read [instead of snooze-ing] before starting my day.
Step 1: Go to bed early so that I can wake up early.
By including Step 1, achieving Step 2 will be more realistic. And I’ll get to cross another thing off which will enhance my placebo effect of feeling success through box checking.

Things like taking walks, drinking enough water and a keeping thankful record are on my list for the week.

Do I wish I was just so disciplined and awesome that I became a better person without having to check little boxes? Yes.
Am I still going to love checking the little boxes? Yes.
Am I greatly anticipating the fruit which this ritual will bear? Yes.

So, I encourage you to make a list.
It could be one or a handful of things.
Maybe it will be writing a letter to a friend once a week like my friend Rori is doing.
Perhaps it’s praying when you start and finish your work day.
You could memorize the Word, pack your lunch every day, brush your teeth for a whole two minutes, complete a craft project once a month, do 10 push-ups every morning, eat more carrots or chocolate candy bars.

Just make sure you set yourself up to get yourself somewhere.
Somewhere that takes a little effort to get there.
And to win. Definitely set yourself up to win.
Throw in some easy tasks and some doozies.
And enjoy that feeling of satisfaction when you cross it off.
Because you did it.
And that feels good.



1 comment:

  1. Jens, I have a book for you. Yes, it's a child's book, but yes, you'll love it. It makes me think of you every time I pick it up off of our coffee table and flip through it's beautiful and cleverly written pages. it's by Ted Kooser (brilliantly illustrated by one of my absolute favs, Jon Klassen) and called, "House Held Up By Trees". I may just buy and send you a copy in the near future, b/c it seems like something you should have in your possession. Phew. Rant over. Much, much love.

    ReplyDelete