Book List

Monday, February 11, 2013

I Need A Subaru.

It is not good for Jen to be alone.

And yet I keep doing it.
Only to find myself in some precarious situations.

This time it happened to be wedged in deep, heavy snow. Alone. With no cell phone service.  In the middle of the woods.

Last spring, I attempted to paddle my way up the coast of lake michigan on a kayak that was a few lengths short of being long enough.  Again, alone. Bouncing precariously between huge icy waves, every muscle tense, chanting a mix of, “omanomanomandon’ttipdon’ttipdon’ttip.”

It always happens with that first stupid decision.

I hesitated at the end of the long, snow drift of a drive way and thought, “You know, maybe this isn’t a good idea.” And of course I answered myself, “Naahhh. It’ll be fine.”
I barreled through the snow.  Hands at ten and two chanting, “okayokayokay”
And all was well...
Until I paused to survey where I should park and began to turn the corner at the top of the turn around.
Then, things were not so well.

I pulled out all the stops.  I kept my wheels straight.  I tromped through the fluff to find a stick.  [Because obviously I didn’t have a shovel in the back of my car.]  So I sticked the snow out from under the wheels.  Did the old rock back and fourth.  I even tried the neutral plus brute strength method.  After some time, I managed to work myself loose.
Only to get stuck again.
This was going to be a long afternoon.

The owners of the only sign of life, a stout Subaru, came tromping back with their snow shoes. At about the same time two ladies in a car, even less stout than my Jetta wagon, wedged themselves into my original place of peril.  [Remind me to buy a car with better clearance if I’m going to keep this up.] With a little help, we freed all cars and I finally enjoyed a nice quite walk in the woods.

Last spring, after turning around on the lake, I made it back and ended up enjoying my final destination in one of the best weekends I’ve had in a long time.

I seem to find happy endings despite things being a little touch and go.

I shake my head after times like these and think, “Typical.”
And although Jen being alone might lead to some ridiculous and potential life threatening situations, I have to admit, I really like it.

I like trying to get myself out of something.
Trying to right that first dumb decision.
To think and reason and figure and come out alive and mostly in one piece.

It’s not good for Jen to be alone.
But it makes for a good story.


1 comment:

  1. Please come borrow my subaru. I'll even ride with you so that you won't be alone.

    ReplyDelete