Book List

Monday, February 13, 2012

Psalm Writing.

As was pointed out to me by a friend recently: this blog has turned into a 'musical intermission' of sorts, for  actual writing.





I own that. Copying song lyrics.  Stealing quotes from better writers. Posting videos.  It’s been taking up a fair share of space here.

[Maybe it's better that way...?]

It’s not that I haven’t been writing.
In fact, I’m filling my journal at an alarming rate.  And I have more ‘drafts’ saved than ever before.  I even find scrall on scraps of paper in my purse or jammed between the pages of a current book.

[Which...has been Harry Potter. It stimulates imagination and creativity...?]

So 'tis not for lack of words, my friends, that you find yourself mostly listening to music when you visit.  The problem is:
I’ve been psalm writing.
At least that’s what I’ve decided to call it.
So why am I not sharing?

Have you read the psalms?!
That is like, bare-bones, show up to school and be forced to wear the liners of your snow boots all day because you forgot your shoes, kind of stuff.  It's like showing all your cards.  The kind of honesty I'm not really interested in sharing, to be honest.  Mostly because it would remove all my brooding mystery, which everybody knows is what you need, and partly because you'll probably think I'm a bit nutty.  Maybe even borderline insane.
BUT.
One thing I love about the psalms, is that no matter how shockingly vulnerable and lamenting they may be, they continue to praise a constant, loving and faithful God.
You can go on and on about how you are a worm and how you want to scrape your wounds with sharp pieces of broken pottery and in the next breath say, "yet I trust in your unfailing love". 
And that's what I want to do.
I hope and pray that my lips would be dripping with the truth of God.
Even if they are also dripping because I just tripped, and bit a hole through my lip.
Blood, mingled with promises like these in Psalm 46:
God is our refuge and strength,
A very present help in time of trouble.
Therefore we will not be afraid,
Though the earth gives way,
Though the mountains move into the heart of the sea,
Though its waters roar and foam,
Though the mountains tremble at it's swelling.
...There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God
...God is in the midst of her;
She shall not be moved;
God will help her when morning dawns.
The nations rage, the kingdoms totter;
He utters his voice, the earth melts.
The LORD of hosts is with us;
The God of Jacob is our fortress.
....He makes wars cease to the end of the earth;
he breaks the bow and shatters the spear;
he burns the chariots with fire.
"Be still, and know that I am God.
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth!"
The LORD of hosts is with us;
The God of Jacob is our fortress.

I was just reading about how old Zechariah doubts the ability of him and his barren wife to bear a son.  So God shuts him up.  Literally.  When his tongue is finally loosed, the first thing he does is bless God.
Ah, yes.
It's kind of going in a different direction than where I started,
But with loosed pen, my first response is: I bless you Lord.
Thank you for your promises.  May I never tire of speaking of your unfailing goodness toward me.

No comments:

Post a Comment